MVCC History

MVCC pre 1924

The actual date this photo was taken is unknown but the lack of a paved road dates it prior to 1924. An interesting detail is the bell tower roof which has graceful sloping sides, a scalloped bottom first course and tight spacing between courses. Unfortunately these details were lost when the tower was re roofed in the early 1990s.

 

MVCC post 1924


This photo was taken during or after 1924. Much of the background has been whited out for an unknown publication. The process of whiting out a background was common in the printing trade but is reliant upon the artist's interpretation of the foreground and background elements. In this photo the darker trim above the top of the tower legs does not protrude as far as the artist leads us to believe.

1792 David Miller opens first general store in Middle Valley, New Jersey (future MVCC building)
1802 A Post Office is established in David Miller’s store
1836 David W. Miller (son) takes over business
1847 David W. Miller sells his store to John C. Welsh
1863 John C. Welsh sells the store to Elias Bartles
1868 William S. Naughright enters into partnership with Elias Bartles
1870 Elias Bartles leaves business
1871 Jacob Welsh partners with William Naughright to run the Middle Valley general store. Welsh later starts the Welsh Farm Dairy business in German Valley
1891 Middle Valley Hall Association was formed. Store is bought from Jacob Welsh for $500
1903 Building serves as meeting place for Ladies Home Union Society of Middle Valley
1904 Bell tower added to building
1905 “A Valentine supper was held on Tuesday evening at the Middle Valley chapel. The enterprising people interested in the Chapel are now gathering a fund to decorate the interior and repair the furnishings” Hackettstown Gazette
1926 Building serves as school for grades 1 to 5 after fire destroys Middle Valley school
1975 Middle Valley Hall Association changes name to Middle Valley Community Center (MVCC)
1990 MVCC Trustees succeed in placing Middle Valley on the Register of State and National Historic Places. The community center is a contributing building in the Middle Valley Historic District
2003 MVCC Trustees begin restoration project using Morris County Heritage Commission and Morris County Historic Preservation Trust Fund matching grant programs
2007 MCHPTF grant restoration work completed
2013 MVCC Trustees adopt a strategy to increase intergenerational appeal by focusing the community centerís public events on music and food. Two early events featured diverse musical instruments together with local history. Then Your Table in the Valley was developed as a continuing multi-part series on food in our community; its topics raise awareness of our rich agricultural setting, offerings of the local farm economy, and improving community health